WHY We Fast
- To humble yourself before God.
- To allow the Holy Spirit to clarify His Bible to your heart and mind.
- To allow the Holy Spirit to show you your true spiritual condition.
- To enrich your prayer life.
- To remind your body that it’s not food that sustains, but God’s Spirit!
Seven Steps to Biblical Fasting
- Keep it Secret! (Matthew 6:5-6)
- Understand Why You’re Fasting. (Isaiah 58:5-8)
- Give up in self-denial something meaningful. (Matthew 17:14-21)
- Study the Bible diligently. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Get real with God in prayer. (Matthew 21:12-14)
- Spend as much time as possible in prayer. (Luke 22:39-46)
- Choose voluntarily to fast and pray for a set time, while living life normally. (Isaiah 43:20)
- Daniel Fast- Eat fruits and vegetables. No meats, no sweets, no white wheat, drink only water and juice.
- Partial Fast- From 6:00 AM-3:00 PM or sun-up to sun-down.
- Sacrificial Fast- Daily give up something of personal enjoyment or a meal.
- Full Fast- Drink only liquids for a certain number of days under a medical doctor’s supervision.
Whatever fast you choose, don’t do it under compulsion of the church, and always consult your personal medical professional.
Search the Bible for specifics and details you’re questioning. This is to the Lord only, not under the directive of the church, except to announce agreement dates.
Claim Joel 3:16 “. . . the Lord will be the hope of his people . . .”
May the Lord richly prosper your fast.